Wednesday, October 3, 2012

2012 summer recap

Hello, let me re-introduce myself.  I am Ryan Theory.

I felt the need to reiterate who I am since I have been absent for 5 or 6 months since my last post.  Yes, I guess I am a wildly irresponsible blogger, and now that we are headed into winter I probably won't be a whole lot better in the coming months.  I apologize now ahead of the neglect of this blog.

So my intention, the reason for this post, is to just give a spring/summer season recap.  Let me just start by saying this summer was awesome!

First things first then.....

April and May were both pretty good months for wind.  In late April we got almost 2 straight weeks of wind.  Many kiters here in the Seattle area were in double digits for consecutive days riding.  Spring was definitely not the warmest, but we made the best of it at the beaches.  Often building a fire on Jettty Island to keep warm between, or after a good session.

 local Seattle kiteboarding cr3w - me on the end, no not the freaky guy on the left...I'm on the right.


For me, spring was also a pretty exciting, if not scary time, since my wife and I were expecting our first (and only) child in May.  On May 31st my baby girl arrived.  Her name is Avy Dejah Curtright.  pronounced "A V"  and Dejah is like Deja Vu.

 Avy Dejah Curtright at 24 hrs old....
  
 My little girl is the best.  She is super smiley all the time and just a joy to be around.  Even at 1 month old she was starting to head to Jetty Island to watch daddy kiteboard.  In fact, on July 4th we went to Jetty and spent the day.

Jetty Island- July 4th 2012. I'm in the neon green w/ 14m 2012 Naish Park.
 
And here is my little diva enjoying her first day at Jetty Island on the 4th of July with daddy kiting in the background.
Avy even stayed at Jetty until after the fireworks show.  Not one single crying session or fit in what ended up being a good 12 hr day at the beach.

 
 
What else is new?  Well, I updated my birds and yes, I love them! I got a 10m and 14m 2012 Naish Park.
 


And today I pick up my new 2013 7m Naish Park from the shop.  The new Park comes in Orange and Blue....so we will see if I like it as much as the neon green combos.....



Also this summer I taught quite a few kiteboarding lessons for Urban Surf Kite School on Jetty Island.  In fact, I am about 1/2 of the way to my Level 2 IKO Certification.  My goal is to get to Level 2 by the end of next summer season.  And my wife and I are planning to pack the baby up and head on our life journey, chasing wind, looking for our own piece of paradise on Jan 1st 2014.  That roughly 15 months from now...and now that we have a baby, I am sure that the time will fly by.

Here is a quick youtube video of one of my student, Kris, getting the hang of things this summer.



 
Some other cool tidbits of summer for me included DJing and competing in the Kiteboarding 4 Cancer event in Hood River.  Not only did I DJ day 2 of the event, but I competed in the endurance race on Day 1.  In order to compete I needed to fund raise or pay an entry fee.  I decided to fundraise at last minute and didn't think I would actually make my goal of $500 before the event.  But in less than 5 days I did hit my goal and was one of 30 or so people to hit the $500 mark.   
 
To learn more about the event and who it benefited, click the link above.  We brought in over 60 thousand dollars for Atheletes 4 Cancer this year, so it was an epic success.
 
I also took a bunch of pictures of my friends at the event.  So, enjoy.....
 

Sick Nick

Sam Light

Sam Light

Robert

Philip goes big for the crowd

pardon me, but do you have some grey poupon?

K.C.

Jon Carrol

Caroline and BBQ Jim

Greg Gnecco of Liquid Force

Disco Devon Carrol

Darcie

Kip shows off pro-body dragging skills

Allen

Allen again....
 
Well, that about wraps up my summer.  Once I started having to pick Avy up from her daycare I pretty much lost the ability for an after-work session...now I am just a weekend warrior.  Hurry up life change and get here!  That being said, heading straight home to spend time with this little doll isn't so bad...in fact, I love it.
 
pics taken 2 days ago...

 
 
If I get out in the next few weeks on my 2013 7m Park, I will be sure to fill you in.
 
Until next time....keep riding and may the wind be in your near future.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment